Login




oder neu registrieren?


Suche

Suchen Sie im kath.net Archiv in über 70000 Artikeln:







Top-15

meist-diskutiert

  1. Piusbrüder lehnen Dialog mit Rom ab und beharren auf Bischofsweihe
  2. Die Piusbruderschaft und ihre Einheit mit der Kirche
  3. Der Tod der Theologie in Deutschland
  4. Erzbistum Paderborn: Hunderte Protest-E-Mails gegen ‚Harry Potter Gottesdienst‘
  5. Kirche im Verfall
  6. Warum Hausfrauen leicht heilig werden können
  7. Kritik an Kanzler Merz nach Ramadan-Grüßen
  8. Offener Brief an Kardinal Marc Ouellet
  9. Donald Trump und Keir Starmer grüßen Christen am Aschermittwoch, Merz und Van der Bellen die Muslime
  10. Zwei (renommierte und namentlich bekannte) Missbrauchsopfer „blitzen mit ihren Protesten ab“
  11. Früherer Bundestagsvizepräsident Kubicki: „Der ZDF-Skandal muss politische Konsequenzen haben“
  12. Mein Held des Monats: Marco Rubio – Ein Weckruf für das Abendland
  13. 'Man kann mit der Begründung, man verteidige die Demokratie, die Demokratie nämlich auch abschaffen'
  14. „Warum bin ich noch in der Kirche?“, fragte der Theologe Joseph Ratzinger bereits 1970
  15. Römische Orientierung statt deutsch-synodale Desorientierung

Bloodbath in Turkey: Widow Forgives Murderers

23. April 2007 in English, keine Lesermeinung
Druckansicht | Artikel versenden | Tippfehler melden


Susanne Geske: "Father, forgive them, for they know not, what they do."


Malatya (www.kath.net/idea)
Susanne Geske, widow of the massacred Christian worker Tilmann Geske, has forgiven the murderers of her husband.

In an interview with the Turkish television channel ATV the German mother of three quoted Christ’s words on the cross: “Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.”

Three evangelical Christians were brutally murdered, April 18, in Malatya in South East Turkey, where 45-year old Tilmann Geske worked as an interpreter in the Christian Publishing House Zirve.

Two other Turkish Christians - Necati Aydin (35) and Ugur Yuksel (32) - were also found tied up and their throats slit. According to Turkish press reports the victims were brutally tortured. Geske’s body showed 156 knife wounds. Yuksel’s genitals and fingers were slashed.

Police have arrested ten suspects. Four young Muslims have admitted the crime. They said they killed the Christians for religious and nationalistic reasons.

Susanne Geske said she did not harbor any thoughts of revenge. She has been living in Malatya for ten years and intends to stay there.

She is hopeful that the aftermath of the murders will signal a new beginning for the relations between Christians and Muslims in Turkey. Many Muslims had shown their outrage about the murders and expressed their condolences to the bereaved.

The bloodbath has not come as a total surprise to the Christian minority in Turkey. “It was only a matter of time,” commented a pastor of a small Protestant church in the North of the country. He was speaking on conditions of anonymity to the evangelical news agency “idea”.

According to the pastor Christian often receive threats. Windows of their homes and churches had been smashed. At the same time the pastor perceives a new openness for the Gospel. He had been able to talk openly about his faith with several Muslim clerics.

The authorities are taking threats against Christians more seriously. Some Christians have been offered bodyguards. Police are watching the Adventist church in Istanbul round the clock. There are approximately 120,000 Christians in Turkey, among them about 4,000 evangelicals.

Christian leaders have criticized Turkish authorities. Political parties and the media were sowing hatred against the minority. “Christians are being portrayed as potential criminals, separatists and traitors,” said Bedri Peker, President of the Union of Protestant Churches in Turkey.

The chairman of the Association of Evangelical Churches, Ihsan Ozbek, talked of a “witch hunt” of medieval proportions. The seeds of intolerance, racism and hostility towards Christians had been sowed for years.

Rev John Candelin, representative of the Religious Liberty Commission of the World Evangelical Alliance (WEA), has flown from Finland to Turkey to provide spiritual support to the families of the three deceased.

“Something very dangerous is happening in Turkey at this time,” said Candelin. He asks all Christians to pray for the families of the victims and for the protection of the Christian minority.

Geoff Tunnicliffe, WEA’s International Director, also expressed his grief over the tragic event. “We condemn this act of violence against Turkish Christians. We must find a way of resolving conflict without resorting to these kinds of brutal acts.”

Islamic institutions in Germany have also condemned the multiple murder. The Central Islam Institute in Soest called it “an abominable and unforgivable crime”. All Muslims should stand up against such acts of violence and express their solidarity with the Christian minority in Turkey.



Ihnen hat der Artikel gefallen? Bitte helfen Sie kath.net und spenden Sie jetzt via Überweisung oder Kreditkarte/Paypal!

 





Lesermeinungen

Um selbst Kommentare verfassen zu können müssen Sie sich bitte einloggen.

Für die Kommentiermöglichkeit von kath.net-Artikeln müssen Sie sich bei kathLogin registrieren. Die Kommentare werden von Moderatoren stichprobenartig überprüft und freigeschaltet. Ein Anrecht auf Freischaltung besteht nicht. Ein Kommentar ist auf 1000 Zeichen beschränkt. Die Kommentare geben nicht notwendigerweise die Meinung der Redaktion wieder.
kath.net verweist in dem Zusammenhang auch an das Schreiben von Papst Benedikt zum 45. Welttag der Sozialen Kommunikationsmittel und lädt die Kommentatoren dazu ein, sich daran zu orientieren: "Das Evangelium durch die neuen Medien mitzuteilen bedeutet nicht nur, ausgesprochen religiöse Inhalte auf die Plattformen der verschiedenen Medien zu setzen, sondern auch im eigenen digitalen Profil und Kommunikationsstil konsequent Zeugnis abzulegen hinsichtlich Entscheidungen, Präferenzen und Urteilen, die zutiefst mit dem Evangelium übereinstimmen, auch wenn nicht explizit davon gesprochen wird." (www.kath.net)
kath.net behält sich vor, Kommentare, welche strafrechtliche Normen verletzen, den guten Sitten widersprechen oder sonst dem Ansehen des Mediums zuwiderlaufen, zu entfernen. Die Benutzer können diesfalls keine Ansprüche stellen. Aus Zeitgründen kann über die Moderation von User-Kommentaren keine Korrespondenz geführt werden. Weiters behält sich kath.net vor, strafrechtlich relevante Tatbestände zur Anzeige zu bringen.


Mehr zu

English

  1. ‘What our world needs more than fashion models are role models’
  2. Fleischloser Freitag kehrt zurück
  3. With great concern
  4. APOSTOLIC CONSTITUTION ANGLICANORUM COETIBUS - ENGLISH LANGUAGE
  5. ANGLICANS ENTERING THE CATHOLIC CHURCH
  6. Liturgy
  7. 'Stick' around for Holy Mass
  8. How beautiful are the footsteps of those who bring good news
  9. How important it is to let your light so shine
  10. McCain and the Pope







Top-15

meist-gelesen

  1. Einmal im Leben nach ISLAND - Eine Reise, die Sie nie vergessen werden!
  2. Oktober 2026 - Wunderbares SIZILIEN mit Kaplan Johannes Maria Schwarz!
  3. Piusbrüder lehnen Dialog mit Rom ab und beharren auf Bischofsweihe
  4. Die Piusbruderschaft und ihre Einheit mit der Kirche
  5. Der Tod der Theologie in Deutschland
  6. Offener Brief an Kardinal Marc Ouellet
  7. Zwei (renommierte und namentlich bekannte) Missbrauchsopfer „blitzen mit ihren Protesten ab“
  8. Kirche im Verfall
  9. Erzbistum Paderborn: Hunderte Protest-E-Mails gegen ‚Harry Potter Gottesdienst‘
  10. Mein Held des Monats: Marco Rubio – Ein Weckruf für das Abendland
  11. „In unendlicher Liebe durch das Leben geführt“
  12. Donald Trump und Keir Starmer grüßen Christen am Aschermittwoch, Merz und Van der Bellen die Muslime
  13. Warum Hausfrauen leicht heilig werden können
  14. 'Man kann mit der Begründung, man verteidige die Demokratie, die Demokratie nämlich auch abschaffen'
  15. 'Reiner Bullshit': Macron sorgt mit Attacke auf Meinungsfreiheit für Entsetzen

© 2026 kath.net | Impressum | Datenschutz